Ian Brown provides an update on this year’s international symposium on avian influenza that took place at the Grand Hotel in Brighton from 15 to 18 April.
Professor Ian Brown is Head of Virology at Animal and Plant Health Agency - Weybridge and Director of EU/OIE/FAO International Reference Laboratories for Avian Influenza, Newcastle Disease and Swine Influenza.
Ian provides a broad range of disease consultancy at both national and international level on all the aforementioned diseases, specialising in laboratory application as relevant to disease control. His specific research interests include the epidemiology, pathogenicity, transmission and infection dynamics in relation to the control of influenza in animal hosts.
Ian holds a visiting Professorship position in Avian Virology at the University of Nottingham.
Ian Brown talks about the forthcoming 10th International Symposium on Avian Influenza (ISAI 2018), 15 to 18 April 2018.
In the first of a series of videos highlighting how we safeguard with science, Prof Ian Brown, APHA's Head of Virology, talks about avian influenza (bird flu) and the work we do in our international reference laboratory at Weybridge.
Flu comes and goes in many guises but little did we know that the detection of H5N8 avian flu in swans in Hungary in October was to be the forerunner of one of the largest epizootics of this disease ever recorded in Europe.
Related content and links
- Antimicrobial Resistance (8)
- APHA news (12)
- Bacterial diseases (11)
- Bee health (6)
- COVID-19 (5)
- Data analysis & modelling (11)
- Diagnostics & testing (8)
- Epidemiology (3)
- Events (23)
- Farming (1)
- One Health (11)
- Parasites (3)
- Plant health (9)
- Prions (1)
- Science strategy (10)
- Surveillance (15)
- Viral diseases (17)
- Wildlife (12)
- Women in science (9)
- APHA celebrates the work of our female scientists on International Day of Women and Girls in Science 2021 11 February 2021
- APHA science staff recognised in the New Year Honours list 5 February 2021
- COVID-19 testing: the scientists behind the scenes 29 January 2021
- Veterinary Pathologist vacancy at our internationally renowned science headquarters 22 January 2021
- APHA provides science evidence quickly leading to the first detection of bird ‘flu in the United Kingdom 22 December 2020
About APHA science
A blog about science at the Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA).